Foaming Without Gas Injection
CCG’s chemically foamable FluoroFoam® compounds enhance electrical performance, improve fire safety and extend material usage. And they foam at rates of 35% to 55% when produced on standard high-temperature extruders – without gas injection or nucleating concentrates.
Advantages of FluoroFoam® include:
- Improved dielectric performance
- Lower cost than foamable solids
- Eliminates need for costly gas injection lines
- Reduced smoke/flame retardant
- Resists dripping when burned
- Less material use/smaller size
- Light weight
- Smaller combustible footprint
- Ideal for PoE applications
- RoHS compliant/completely recyclable
- UL recognized for plenum (CMP) cable (File No. QMTM2)
FluoroFoam® fluoropolymer compounds were developed to insulate Category 5e, 6, 6e, 6A and 8 plenum cables, low-capacitance cables and coaxial cables. But they offer the same high-performance characteristics when used for crosswebs, tapes or cable fillers.
FluoroFoam® pellets are UL recognized for plenum cable insulation (File No. QMTM2) and are especially suited for thin-wall insulation of 0.005″ (0.127 mm) to 0.015″ (0.381 mm). Thin-wall insulation previously was produced from solid FEP, but FluoroFoam®’s unique properties allow our customers to foam fluoropolymers in situations where it could not have been foamed in the past.
And because FluoroFoam® does not require gas injection, customers save the cost of purchasing and maintaining injection equipment.
For insulation with a thickness of 0.015″ (0.381 mm) to 0.060″ (1.524 mm), foaming rates of 55% or even higher can be achieved. Typical cell size of the foam on average is less than 0.001″ (0.025 mm) and cell size is uniform. Tube extrusion or pressure extrusion may be used for less critical high-speed applications, such as production of coaxial cable.
Patented and RoHS Compliant
FluoroFoam® foaming technology received U.S. Patent No. 7,968,613 for use with PFA, MFA and FEP, and a patent is pending in Europe (Patent Application No. 1169333.9). Additional versions have been developed with the same chemically foamable characteristics using ETFE, and a version using PVDF is under development.
FluoroFoam® is RoHS compliant and is made from recycled materials. Given the variability of recycled fluoropolymers, it can be processed in a wide range of melt indexes.
Compounds are available in an economical master batch concentrate (MBC), but can also be supplied as a 100% letdown material, depending on the application.
FluoroFoam® is not used in the same applications where nucleating concentrates and pre-compounded fluoropolymers are used, such as large coaxial cables.
Options (for insulation)
- Fully compounded and ready to use
- Master-batch concentrate — Blend it in-house with your FEP Resin
- Master-batch blend — Ready-to-use master-batch concentrate, pre-blended with prime FEP resin
For crosswebs, tapes or cable fillers
- Master-batch blend meeting a wide range of specifications
For more information:
Register here for detailed product data sheets.